HSM 2015 #5 &6: Oh-So-Simple-Camisole


I present: the Oh-so-simple-camisole.

HSM 2015 #4: 1779 Virginia Regimental Coat

I struggled with an appropriate project for HSM #4 (War & Peace) until the perfect opportunity fell into my lap. My boyfriend has been in need of a properly fitted regimental since he started reenacting and decided to pony up the money for a Henry Cooke workshop that was being held in Winchester. Which of course really meant that I was taking the Henry Cooke workshop. I have to give him credit here though; he did quite a bit of the grunt work on the internal seams.

With “A Call to Arms” at Mt. Vernon scheduled for the first weekend of May it was the perfect deadline. I finished putting on the buttons the Wednesday before. Confession: the buttonholes have not been finished. They’re not even whipped. But the coat is 100% functional!


Catching up on Pictures

This weekend was a self-proclaimed UFO weekend and I really got a lot done. Sometimes you just have to stop the train, and sit there and sew all those little projects that just need a hem or some trim. Things finished: Williamsburg jacket, wool gabardine gown and petticoat, linen mitts, red silk handkerchief, blue and white check handkerchief, and black hat trimmed. Crazy right?! Pictures below.



Fuchsia Masquerade Mantua

I made this gown a couple years ago for a halloween costume and I think it might be my favorite project thus far. I figured it was time to document it!

I thought it would be fun to make an 18th century version of a costume instead of just an 18th century gown AS a costume. From this idea my Fuchsia Mantua was born and it was made to look like the fuchsia flower. I went a little more red and a little less pink because it seemed less jarring that way.

The matching mask is covered in cream linen and decorated with the fake flower petals you can get for weddings at places like Michaels. The stick is a 1/4 inch dowel stained with Minwax water based stains in Cherry Blossom.

The facts:

What: Mantua

When: 1700-1710

Fabric: Linen

Pattern: My own based on the pattern in Norah Waugh’s “The Cut of Women’s Clothes: 1600-1930”